S is for... Shut up about Fashion Week!

I haven't participated in much blogging of late, for a couple of reasons:

1. My friend JC and I have joined forces to create a collaborative blog unearthing some mental conspiracies (spurred by my recent fascination for all things Masonic!), so I have been working on that for the past couple of days. It's all early stages, so will link you when we've officially launched it. Obviously, it's going to have little to nothing to do with fashion, so if you like some of my non-fashion related posts, maybe you'll prefer this blog? We're very excited to get researching, most of the material we've got already is hilarious!


2. This is the main reason why I haven't blogged recently: Fashion Week. Everyone needs to shut up about it; be it New York, London or funking (yes, funking) Cambodia, I just DON'T CARE. Everyone goes mad for it, MENTAL. Do you know how much it costs to put on one show? Well neither did I, until I Googled it to make this exact point (pedantic? Me?), and the tidy sum amounted to monies in excess of $750,000. FOR ONE SHOW. I'm pretty sure you could save a LOT of starving children (or models for that matter) for the amount they're paying to have some beautiful people walk around in (or vomit on, in New York) some uncomfortable get-up for an hour. Who even gets it?! Not me, apparently. Haute Couture I am positive, is just a way of making people look stupid. And apart from that, all I have heard is that there was a lot of black clothing. 

Worth it.

Anyway, in order to make a stand, I have compliled for you a few disgusting fashion based things I have found recently. They are foul, so don't feel obliged to read on. Especially if, a. you like/have attended Fashion Week, or b., you have any form of self respect...

1. Flylashes



Yes, they're actual fly legs. British artist Jessica Harrison created these 'Flylashes' from the dead bodies of those pesky insects that most people despise. Check the angles of the legs; vom. What is particularly disturbing about these, is that presumably, before they made their way onto this unfortunate model, when alive, those legs were probably around something fairly disgusting. I thought that kind of thing could cause blindness...?

2. Vulva Love Lovely

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos


Yeah, so apparently I'm not meant to be disgusted by these. I am.

Arist known as Vulva Love Lovely creates these necklaces along with other vagina inspired jewellery for women who describe, or send her photos of, their vaginas. Her slogan? "Love your vagina, love the vaginas you meet ." Alright, so yes, her main reason for doing these necklaces and other things, such as vagina pillows and mobile phone charms, is to support women who have experienced sexual trauma. In fact, as I believe it, you HAVE to have experienced sexual trauma to be ale to get your hands on one of these. 

In interview, she was asked if she would describe her art as feminist, she replied: "I would describe myself and my art as having strong feminist ideals, yes."

I think I've made my point.

There must be a reason why 'vulva' and 'vulgar' are both such similar words.


3. TransRatFashion

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos


So, here we have the brain child of Kristopher Paetan and Ondrej Brody, who have come up with this anti-establishment art protest in an attempt to make people squeam. I like that about them, but this is just messed up. They've basically created a series of fake Chanel bikinis out of dead rats, dressed Brazilian transvestites in them, and then, they have... Well... Got the models themselves to... I'm not sure I can bring myself to write it, but I will leave it up to your imagination with the clue of 'bodily fluids all over them'. Grim. 

When asked "Why Chanel?" Paetan said that he believed their clothes to be "extremely conservative" and thought they were the perfect brand as their website pertains them to be "The ultimate luxury brand for fashion accessories, eyewear, ready-to-wear haute couture collections." In the same interview for Vice, when asked "What are you angry about?", his response was as follows:

"I'm angry about the lack of courage and most artists' lack of self-criticism. I'm angry about myself because I'm such a loser that I need to have a money job in order to merely survive and that I put the little extra money I earned into some stupid art projects that nobody ever buys. Most of all I'm angry about people who don't have a sense of humor and I hope I'm not losing my own sense of humor while being so angry"

Rate that.


4. Losers with a camera


Fashion Week Confession Booth: Part Six by NYMag


Disgusting.

Oh no, wait...

That's actually New York Fashion Week.

I rest my case.

L.