F is for... Friday Feminism Fun!

So since I've been getting pretty heavy recently, I thought I'd tone it dowwwn a bit and do a fun post about celebrities without make-up on. Ok so I'm still kind of covering controversy- mainly in the face of feminism, but I like to think it more light-hearted than American politics and religion. Please correct me if I'm wrong... ;)

**WARNING: Post contains pictures of my hungover face without ANY make-up**


So, back in April, I was listening to BBC Radio 4's 'Woman's Hour'. This was an odd thing for me to be doing for two reasons: Firstly, I'm usually at work during its weekday 10-11am slot, and on a Saturday I can't really think what I'm normally doing during the 4-5pm 'Woman's Hour' (potentially feeling like getting resdy to drink again), but whatever it is, it's not listening to the radio.

Secondly, and more relevantly, the show's not really for me. I find it to be a show based on women generally making a fuss about nothing (would they?!), and I've never considered it necessary to immerse myself in the world of feminism; probably for fear of confirmation that I'm fundamentally not one. (This is different to the reason my mum doesn't listen. Being a feminist herself it's more a case of, "Well, why do women only get one hour?!" LOVE that!)

However, on this Wednesday morning in April, I was on my way to the doctors and Woman's Hour was on in my car. The show featured journalist Charlotte Raven and Daily Mail columnist Liz Jones. They were discussing Raven's Guardian aricle on women ditching elaborate beauty regimes as a feminist act of solidarity. I was reminded of this discussion yesterday, as Liz Jones has actually written her own article about the radio show, with her counter-argument to Charlotte Raven's stance; suggesting that all girls should wear make-up as a real act of solidarity.

Jones attacked Holly Willouhby's recent Twitpic of her bare, no make-up face, implying that it's the same as false advertising (yes, I know! Holly Willouhby does actually have a face. I'm not sure I'd seen it before either...). These celebrities who tweet pictures of themselves, according to Jones, all probably have their tans done, eyelash extensions, tattooed eyebrows, and teeth whitened. Not to mention face lifts, Botox and other surgical enhancements... Insinuating that they're not accurate representations of what real women look like with no make-up on.

Here's a look at Holly's pictures:




And here's Jones' 'real' pictures (bearing in mind she's had Botox, a facelift, laser treatment for dark spots and thread veins, lash extensions and a brow tattoo):



Jones doesn't stop there in voicing her concerns over celebrities tweeting these no make-up shots though. She goes as far as to say that it's actually 'arrogant, over confident, one-upmanship' that inspires these women to declare that they don't need make-up normally. She labels them 'The Ultimate Playground Bullies' as they are aware that men don't like make-up and are out to prove that they don't need it, when the rest of us actually do. She actually thinks it 'rude' for these ladies to show their bare faces to the world, and that it is, in fact, anti-feminist.

Here's a look at some more Twitpics from celebrities sans make-up:

 Jennifer Love Hewitt

 Lady Gaga

 AnnaLynne McCord

 Rihanna

Now, I kind of think there is some truth in what Jones has to say. It's hardly self-depricating to post a picture of yourself if you look like any of the above- but I'm doubtful that it's any more than a PR stunt. And I think she's taking it a bit far?

I'm actually more worried now about her school-playground-bully hang-ups and her self-esteem! I kind of think that it's actually anti-feminist to compare yourself to other women. Doesn't feminist solidarity come down to accepting other women as they are (more beautiful or less beautiful than yourself) and sticking together as a gender? Surely aesthetics shouldn't even feature in feminism? Isn't it about equality? Perhaps I'm wrong.

Anyway, if it really is a case of 'arrogant, over confident one-upmanship' through 'faux-modesty', then I've actually got a lot to answer for as well!! Now, those of you who (are unfortunate enough to) know me, or those of you who (are unfortunate enough to) follow me on Twitter will be aware that I'm not shy of posting a hangover-face pic once in a while. Generally it's a much-regretted mistake of a still-drunk state during the morning after the night before, and a case of me not really being aware of what I'm doing. Later that day I tend to have a fit of humiliation, but I don't seem to learn.

For this reason, I can't believe I am about to post this picture, but it's more to show what a normal person looks like when they make that classic mistake of thinking-they-look-like-a-celebrity-no-make-up-pic, when they actually look like a-crack-whore-on-a-come-down. It's a warning: LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES GIRLS, THIS IS NOT PRETTY.

But I don't want to insult your intelligence by not disclosing my other reason for posting my own no make-up shot, which is this: I wanted to get personal. Having posted some quite heavy stuff recently, it's difficult not to come across as impertinent and inflammatory; characteristics which have been drawn to my attention in some of the feedback I have been getting. But that's actually not what I'm really like. I don't think that my opinions are any more valid than anyone else's, or really warrant being taken into consideration- I just wish everyone blogged so it didn't seem like I thought like that! I wanted to do this more relatable post so hopefully you can see that I haven't got myself on a pedestal. So here you go, my face...

With quite a lot of make-up:


Photobucket




The picure I posted the morning after a particularly heavy night in Salcombe:


Photobucket



Strong look ;). And I can confirm that both sets of pictures are me. Yes, the same person. I know that's difficult to believe.

Anyway, very interested in hearing your thoughts on whether or not you think it's unfair (and/or anti-feimist) for these celebrities to show they look better than us normal girls with no make-up on? Girls and boys, actually? Sometimes I think guys are able to give a more objective opinion on stuff like this.

Thanks,

L.

P.s. Got another post-request from Gabby which I will be researching in my spare time this weekend! Think: prostitution. Oh good!