V is for... Versace.

Everyone seems to be talking about the Versace and H&M collaboration at the moment. The consensus is that people 'CAN'T WAIT!' for the collection to be brought out in November. But I can't help but wonder if I am the only one who is struggling to get my head around the pieces? I mean, they've made some beautiful choices, such as these that I personally love:












But then there are these pieces, which have upset me a little...






Now don't get me wrong, I am not in the category of people who think that Versace have done themselves a disservice by creating this H&M collection. I am not in any way adverse to bringing the catwalk to the high-street, and certainly do not think that it is 'brand-damaging' to bring couture to the 'commoners'- which is an attitude I have heard a lot of late. This is the snobby fashion point-of-view that makes me cringe. But when I look at the above pieces, I find them both garish and gauche.

I am a little disappointed, if honest. Having learnt of this collaboration a few weeks ago, it was met by myself with a sense of great anticipation. I have actually waited a while to write this blog post, as I was unsure if it was merely just an initial reaction to the collection (it was always going to be an anticlimax as to what I had expected), and that I would grow to love it.

But I haven't.

In any case, I have fallen in love with the former items- and do intend to invest in at least one key piece. Plus, as far as I'm concerned, if a whole collection of clothes is created and even just one design is amazing- then it's worth doing. And of course, my opinion is neither necessary nor valid. In fact, perhaps there is something in these pieces that my untrained eye can't see.

Maybe I have got it all wrong- but if you saw someone wearing one of the more out-there items, would you think 'stylish', or 'designer wannabe'? I hate to say, I think it would be the latter. The benefit of designer clothing is that the quality of materials is so high that more abstract designs can be pulled off. But will this be the case with the h&m collection?

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

L.