M is for... Marketing.

Hey folks,

Hope you're all well, rested and fat after the festive period. I am ill, overtired, but definitely fat- so one out of three's not bad, right? I'd firstly like to apologise for my lack of blogging- it's been a pretty hectic couple of months for me. But I'm back, with the aim of resuming regular posting. Lucky you!

One of the reasons I have been so slack is actually down to job-hunting. However I now have a new job which I start on Monday, so I am very excited! I will be doing the marketing for the very prestigious Calcot Manor Hotel (take a look at the website, and book in if you like- rumour has it you'd be rubbing shoulders with Daniel Craig and Kate Moss).


This post is partly inspired by my new job role, as I have been very focused on marketing techniques, reading up and researching the best forms of practice (nerd). I think this will be quite a new challenge for me, as in the past, the marketing work I have done has all been within the fashion industry and has also been 100% digital- so I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into something a little bit more hands on, if you will. I've been looking this morning at some amazing guerilla marketing techniques, and really wanted to share them with you- I think they're amazing!!

This first effort was created by a health insurance company. I really appreciate how they've taken a normal situation and made it into a fun marketing technique. Obviously, their aim is to tap into the public's subconscious and manipulate them into taking out their insurance, some might find this quite underhanded. But personally, I reckon I'd be ok with that if I felt like I was knocking out a few teeth whilst bowling (fun!):

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos


This second campaign is definitely one of my personal favourites. Superette have created walking advertisments on the back of short-short wearing women's legs. I think what I find most clever about this, is not only the obvious irony of the imprints, but also, the shameless use of the infamous 'sex sells' marketing technique. This is hot!:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos


Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos


Third up is a great effort from the team responsible for the marketing of the Spider-Man 2 film. This one's pretty self explanatory...:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos


Next, the EPIC National Geographic Channel (these guys can do no wrong by me):

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos


I think this next one's really clever, as it's really rescourceful. Without wanting to sound like a complete corporate-idiom speaking douche bag, you can tell that whoever came up with this idea for Big Pilot watches, can actually think 'outside of the box'. Credit where credit's due:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos


Next up is Mini Cooper's cardboard box stunt, whereby they produced real-size MC boxes and left them around the street with wrapping paper coming out of them to entice the public to have a look inside. As far as I'm aware, there was nothing exciting inside, but it sparked curiosity and also worked to demonstrate the practical size of the Mini, along with the sense of fun, adventure and mischief behind their brand ideology:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos


Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos


This next one I have put in, purely because I think my Dad would really appreciate it...he has a vested interest in all things infrastructure (business), so I'm pretty sure he'll appreciate the efforts of this superglue company. (This one's for you Dad!):

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos


Another favourite of mine! Also pretty self-explanatory. Love it:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos


Now to jump on the emo-vampire bandwagon that seems to have taken over the ever emotionally developing teenagers of our time, to show you a very 'cool' campaign from the team behind True Blood. (I really actually like this one, I'm just pretending not to because I don't want to be labelled 'cool'):

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos


Excellent, Nivea:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos


Simply just really like this one. I don't know if I'm the only person who remembers when air guitars were being sold on EBay...?:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos


Mercedes are brilliant. So smart and arrogant to convince people that they want their cars to look like Mercs:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos


Great effort from the DVLA:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos


And now to finish with my personal favourite, although it is more of a PR stunt... This was the gift sent to the press agencies from the team behind the television series Weeds in the US. Weed bouquets. (No thc though, just to clarify...):

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos


Pretty cool! Maybe I'm getting carried away because I love stuff like this, but I really would say that guerilla marketing is an excellent thing to Google if you're bored. Sammi Medlin, that goes out to you...

L.