M is for... Mila Kunis for Dior!!

MILA KUNIS IS THE NEW FACE OF DIOR. EVERYONE STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND LOOK AT HER.

Ok, so I'm being dramatic, gauche and annoying, and it's even making me cringe a bit (a lot); but, seriously!? That's my second favourite girl-crush with my second favourie fashion house! My heart skipped a beat and now I'm positively speechless. You'll have to gaze in lust at the photos (as I did for 17 minutes) whilst I regain my composure, and hopefully, my ability to form structured sentences...


Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos


LOOK AT HOW AMAZING SHE IS. AND LOOK AT THOSE BAGS.

I'm going to pull myself together now, just long enough to give my actual opinion, the aim being one that's not purely influenced by my lust eyes...

According to recent press reports, Mila released a statement saying "I am absolutely thrilled to be working with Dior. The brand is iconic in so many ways. It defines fashion, elegance and sophistication." (I totally agree Mila, you're wonderful).

However, also heading up the Dior empire is Charlize Theron for j'Adore Dior (my favourite perfume), Marion Cotillard who models for the Lady Dior handbag range, and certainly not forgetting Kunis' Black Swan co-star Natalie Portman who is the face of Dior's Cherie perfume.

Now, I think my crush on Mila is pretty obvious, and if you need any further clarification, then take it from me: I LOVE HER. My love for her, however, does not detract from my worry that she has some pretty big boots to fill. As the world of high end fashion becomes more accessible (by accessible, I mean people spending beyond their means. Consumerist suicide. Credit crunch? Sorry, what?), it also becomes more commercial- which is why we have seen an increase in celebrity endorsements for power fashion houses. Mila's competition here are three, high profile, Oscar-winning actresses, and while, yes, I thought she was 'well hot' in Friends with Benefits- I also did turn it off half way through because I was bored. She was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in Black Swan at the Golden Globes, but is yet to claim an award, and here, she is aligning herself with some of the best in her proffession.

Which (devastatingly) leaves me wondering: do I actually think Dior made the right choice? Dare I doubt them?

Let's take a look at the rules of celebrity endorsement:

Rule One: Credibility
The celebrity must be credible. This means that he/she must have a high level of expertise and talent in their field. These merits bring value to the brand and indicate the intent of the brand in being associated with the very best.

Rule Two: Global Appeal
The celebrity must have global appeal. This means that the celebrity must not only be known worldwide but must also be appreciated and well liked by the majority of the people in the consumer and fashion society.

Rule Three: Personality
The celebrity’s personality must match the brand’s personality. Luxury brands often make the mistake of choosing a celebrity to endorse their brands based on their popularity and appeal. Although these attributes are important, it is essential to understand the significant role that a celebrity’s personality brings to the brand.

Rule Four: Uniform Power
The celebrity must not overshadow the brand. Luxury brands already have powerful brand personalities, making it a challenge for celebrities to outshine the brand. However other brands that are yet to ascertain a high level of brand strength have to be careful in choosing a celebrity whose strength doesn’t surpass that of the brand.

Rule Five: Constancy
The celebrity must have constancy and lasting appeal. This means that the celebrity should have sustainability and the knack to maintain their image and career accordingly.

Looking at the rules, I have actually decided that yes, I do think Dior made the right decision. She is a good ambassador for the brand- has the right attitude and media prescence, plus she's of a good age where she's unlikely to go off the rails, binge on intoxicating substances and make Dior look stupid. However, I'm not sure that the critics agree with me; mainly in regards to rule numbero uno. But I like her, and I don't think I'm alone. If you can win over the public, surely that's the main thing? Surely that's what will make the brand appear likeable, by association? I know that this has been a questionable decision on Dior's part, but one which I think was justifiable. I know she's certainly not OVER-rated as an actress, but is that necessarily relevant? I think perhaps I am biased, as usually I don't like to read myself being so gushing about a person- but I can't help it!

She certainly makes me want a Dior handbag.

But not more than a Mulberry. Never more than a Mulberry.

What do you think?

L.