J is for... Jamie's.

My Mum's visiting this week! She toyed with the idea last week and then decided she would come yesterday on a whim, I got a couple of urgent text messages announcing her arrival, and we met after I finished work. We decided that since Jamie Oliver's restaurant, Jamie's Italian, is new in town that we'd check it out; you know, just because it's new, we don't really like eating or anything like that... So my mother, my cousin Hattie and I went to see what all the fuss was about. I say fuss... I'd actually heard nothing but bad reviews, but we had a good time! Unfortunately my camera ran out of battery so I didn't get to get a lot of photos, but I got a few and stole a couple.


This is what I wore:

Photobucket

(shoes Moda In Pelle, jeans ASOS, top MinkPink, belt Topshop)

In retrospect, I think I was channelling my inner rock-chick (as one does when one's mother has come to stay...).But I think it was ok, I feel alright about it.

Here's some pictures of the venue and us:

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

The atmosphere was cool. We were sat in the upstairs dining room, which used to be the old courtroom. The high ceilings and original seating were definite highlights. I wasn't so sure about the italian meat display in the middle of the room though...

Photobucket


Bit overkill (literally). I counted that around 22 animals would have had to die for that- charmed.

That being said, it didn't stop me sampling some. We shared a vegetable plank which consisted of chargrilled vegetables and Italian cheeses and the bread selection to start; for mains I had the proscuitto, crispy pear and parmesan salad, Lynny (mum) had the prawn linguini, and Hats had the scallop and squid ink spaghetti; and then for dessert I had the pannacotta with peach and rhubarb compote, and Lynny had the lemon curd. And the food was good and very reasonably priced! We washed it down with a couple of bottles of Soave (...), which was greatly enjoyed by all. The staff were also most accommodating and very helpful.

I guess maybe the bad reviews that I had heard before were down to the restaurant being so new. I really think that it takes time for the staff to get used to working in a new environment and gelling together- plus the pressure on the chefs must have been exceptional when it first opened, and therefore, I would like to put those bad reviews down to teething problems. But I wasn't there. I can only go by my own Soave-tainted experience!

In any case, recommended. Maybe not quite so highly as watching Submarine, but also a very enjoyable thing to do of an evening.

L.