S is for... Submarine!

Photobucket
My cousin Hattie and I had a bit of a funny night last night. We were both in weird moods and decided we had better do something lethargic in a bid to counteract our instability. It was probably all the excitement of the weekend (which, FYI was actually relatively non-eventful). So our first thought was to go and see the Inbetweeners movie- but we were unable to get tickets. Hattie's only real wish was to have a glass of wine, and so, to compromise, we decided to hire a film and take a trip to Bargain Booze (I took the opportunity in the car to endeavour to learn Hattie of the joys of Wu-Tang- she was less than impressed, by both The Wu and my driving to The Wu).


So we rented Submarine!!

I was so excited. We did that whole, 'What do you want to watch?', 'I don't mind, what do you want to watch!?' thing, but when I saw Submarine on the shelf, I knew our fate for that evening. I had wanted to go and see it when it had been at the cinema, but as it was only showing at selected cinemas across the UK, no one really cared enough to go and see it with me. So I grabbed my chance!

And I was not disappointed.

The direction was awesome, LOVE Richard Ayoade (from The IT Crowd, in case you can't place him). I am aware that it is based on a novel, which I intend to suggest when it's my turn to pick the book for book club (Nicki, Kate, take note). I won't bore you with an uneducated critique- AS Media Studies taught me nothing but to love horror films. I must say though, it really was everything I hoped it would be. So if I have one recommendation for you this week, it is to see this film. The characters are believeable and it was so funny that I even spilt some of my Savignon Blanc. It takes awkward to a new level, but in that sense it couldn't have been any more British, which is everything I would want from a British film.

See it.

L.